Pages

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Graduating Kindergarten

I can't believe how quickly this school year has gone by. It had its challenges. Having a baby and moving were high on that list. But, we're done!

The kids had their final math test this morning. Jackson aced it and did it completely independently. Katie needed me to help explain the questions, but then she figured out the answers on her own. Jackson scored 98% out of 40 questions. The one he missed was because he subtracted where he should have added. He was a little disappointed that he missed one, but I know that he can do the work and told him that one misread question really isn't a big deal.

We're going to keep on working on their reading lessons for the next 6 weeks or so. By then they should be able to read at a second grade level. I think I'll take a few weeks off at that point.

I've already collected all my first grade materials and am anxious to get started, and the kids aren't really asking for a break, but I think starting fresh in the fall will be good.

It's been such an amazing school year. There were definite moments where I wanted to give up, but when I look back to June of last year, when we were just starting, and see how far we've come, I can really see the accomplishment.

When Katie began to read for the first time a few weeks ago, when it seemed as though I could actually see the gears turning in her brain and the light go on, I was humbled and really honored to be able to witness it.

Homeschooling is something that I felt I needed to do. I felt it was my responsibility. I never imagined it would be such a privilege and bring me so much joy.

No comments: