Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Taking Pictures


Hey, would you look at that! They're all smiling and looking at the camera at the same time!
I've been wanting to get portraits done for a while now. I even made it to the portrait studio a few weeks ago. I got the kids all dressed up. Jackson and Sammy were wearing matching light blue shirts and beige sweater vests. Katie was wearing a white sleeveless dress with pink flowers and a beautiful pink ribbon around her waist. Jackson's hair was longer and actually not sticking up for a change. Everything was perfect.
So, we get to the department store. I won't mention which one, except to say that it rhymes with Cheers. I walk over to the portrait studio, which was totally empty except for 2 employees. Great, I thought, no lines! So, I began to ask about portrait packages, sheets, sitting fees, etc. All at once, I had the feeling that I had walked into a boutique on Rodeo Drive. These 2 women, who apparently weren't capable of a smile or a greeting, handed me a price list, the lowest possible price being in the $150 range. Looking down at the floor, I mentioned that I remember seeing advertisements for $4.99 portrait sheets. The women looked at each other. I think I may have seen a half smile, but it wasn't directed at me, so it didn't put me at ease. "You failed to read the fine print. No one ever reads the fine print." As I was thinking to myself, "this is Cheers, isn't it?" she went on to explain that that price only goes into effect after you spend a minimum of $75 and only when you agree to buy many sheets at that price. I smiled and said, "thank you, I think I'll look around the store and think about it." And I did think about it. I always spend too much on portraits no matter where I go, but I knew I'd do a little better somewhere else. "Ah ha", I thought, "I'll go to Walmart."
I should mention that it was a very cold day in early March and I had the kids dressed like it was springtime. I drove us down the street to Walmart. I went over to the portrait studio, where I have gotten pictures done at least twice before, but this time, the portrait studio isn't there. I look around, confused. "Where am I?" And then I see it. The sign reads, "Portrait Studio Closed." It was not a temporary sign. The space has been filled up with Sam's Choice soda and chips.
The kids were so cute and had been so patient. Our afternoon didn't go as expected and we still don't have portraits. We have 2 JCPs near us, but they don't have portrait studios either. Next stop, Target.

1 comment:

Swimming with frogs said...

"Cheers" employees are obviously NOT on commission.